The Liskeard Neighbourhood Plan is here!
The Neighbourhood Plan journey has been a long and eventful one with many local people getting on board at various stations/stops along the way. It has taken rather longer than the original timetable suggested and not all signals have been green………….. on occasion the train’s got stuck in a siding while we scratched our heads on the best way forward, and some new track has needed to be laid to negotiate changing rules and regulations..… shovelling coal is hard work, and with hills to climb we have sometimes run short of steam…….. but with continued community volunteer support, we have steadily gained momentum; the train is still on track – Full Steam Ahead now towards it’s final destination, with Cornwall Council’s consultation under way, and approaching the town’s referendum so the plan comes into force.
A copy of the submission draft Plan, and supporting documents, can be found on the right of, or below this page on mobile devices. The Plan was submitted to Cornwall Council on Friday 25th August 2017.
The next steps are for Cornwall Council to advertise the Plan and consult with various bodies, and then to agree that the Plan can go forward to an Independent Assessment. Soon after that all Liskeard residents on the electoral roll will get the chance to vote for the Plan in a local referendum. When you approve it, it is ‘Made’ in law and must be taken into account when planning applications are considered.
The journey so far…
Over the winter of 2016/2017 the consultation draft of the Plan was available for local people and various local and national organisations to comment on. We have now made changes to the Plan in the light of comments received, and formally submitted the Neighbourhood Plan to Cornwall Council.
If you wish to enquire or comment, please use the Contact Us link on the menu bar at the top of this page.
Although we cannot take any additional comments into account at this stage, they will be considered later this year when Cornwall Council has carried out its consultations on the Plan.
What is a Neighbourhood Plan?
It gives people like ourselves a real say in how our community develops – the way that land is used for housing, business, shops and leisure. It can also protect green spaces and influence the design of buildings and estates. The plan has to be agreed through a local referendum. It will have legal force for the next 20 years, and must be followed by Cornwall Council when making planning decisions.
Local people play a major role in making the plan. It’s part of their democratic right granted by the Localism Act. The more people that get involved, the better chance there is of making this a brilliant plan for Liskeard! So far the involvement of the community through volunteering, commenst and support has been great! On the basis of what people have said the Plan aims to deliver the following vision:
THE PLAN VISION
LISKEARD – A MODERN CORNISH MARKET TOWN
- A Cornish market town with a distinct identity and character
- A vibrant and friendly community built on a human scale
- A place where people from the surrounding area come to use services, shops, cultural and leisure facilities
- Set in a valued rural, agricultural landscape between the sea and the moor
LISKEARD WILL BE:
- A thriving modern market town at the heart of South East Cornwall
- A place where people can work in rewarding jobs supporting a vibrant economy
- An attractive place to live with a range of housing to meet local needs
- A caring community supporting residents of all age and social groups through health, education, employment, and enjoyment of cultural and leisure facilities
- An attractive centre which retains its human scale, and where people want to access services, meet and shop
- A place that fosters mobility and healthy living with a sustainable transport network for walkers, cyclists and those who depend on public transport
- A place that attracts visitors and supports tourism in S E Cornwall
Are you on board? It’s not too late to join us.
We are getting there! But there’s still plenty of time to get on board by:
- Keeping up-to-date via the dedicated web-site, posters, the press, radio, and the Town Crier.
- Talking about the Plan with friends and neighbours – spread the word!
- Contributing your ideas and suggestions. Please use the comments box on this page.
- Commenting on the draft plan before it goes off for inspection and we all vote on it.
- If you have plenty of time to spare…volunteering to serve on the Neighbourhood Plan Team to help manage the process.
The Liskeard Neighbourhood Plan is supported by grant awarded by the Supporting Communities in Neighbourhood Planning Programme led by Locality in association with RTPI/Planning Aid England, CDF and partners, available through the My Community Rights website.
Mapping in PDF documents on this site is© Crown copyright and database rights 2017 OS 100053848: Use of this data is subject to terms and conditions.