The Liskeard Neighbourhood Plan Referendum is coming soon!
On 25th October everyone from Liskeard with a vote can take part in a referendum on the Town’s own Neighbourhood Development Plan. The new Plan was written by the community for the community, to guide development in the Town to 2030.
You are being asked to vote yes or no to this question:
“Do you want Cornwall Council to use the neighbourhood plan for Liskeard to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?”
If more people vote Yes, then Cornwall Council will have to follow the locally prepared Neighbourhood Plan when making planning application decisions for sustainable development in Liskeard.
The Plan includes:
- Priority for Jobs – new employment sites, and employment linked to new housing.
- Promoting brown-field sites first before more houses can be developed on fields beyond our settlement boundary.
- Supporting the vitality and viability of the town centre and it’s businesses
- Regenerating the Cattle Market to maximise the economic and cultural benefits to the community
- Respecting the town’s heritage and improvements to the street scene
- Improving and protecting our valuable green spaces in and around Liskeard with better walking and cycling routes, and connecting neighbourhoods
- Identifying more land for playing fields, parks and natural areas
- Working to improve the towns infrastructure in line with new development
If the vote is ’no’ then Liskeard’s local NP will not be used, and Cornwall Council will rely solely on the Cornwall Local Plan and national Planning Policy.
A copy of the post-examination draft Plan, and supporting documents, can be found on the right of this page or below it on mobile devices.
The referendum on the Liskeard Neighbourhood Development Plan will be held on Thursday 25thOctober 2018. Voting information and a summary leaflet will be delivered to every household – you can vote in person on the 25th, at your ward polling station (St Martin’s, Liskerrett, or the Public Hall Long Room), as shown on your polling card, between 7am and 10pm, or use a postal vote. For any voting queries, call the helpline on 0300 123 1115, or visit www.cornwall.gov.uk/elections
If you haven’t registered as an elector you won’t be able to vote. You can register online here: Register to Vote
Do it before the 9th October if you want to take part in the Liskeard Referendum
The journey so far…
Over the winter of 2016/2017 the consultation draft of the Plan was available for local people and various local and national organisations to comment on. We made changes to the Plan in the light of comments received, and formally submitted the Neighbourhood Plan to Cornwall Council on Friday 25th August 2017.
After another round of consultation, Liskeard Town Council and Cornwall Council appointed Deborah McCann BSc MRICS MRTPI Dip Arch Con Dip LD as the independent inspector to examine the Neighbourhood Development Plan for the Liskeard area. She decided to call a public hearing as part of the examination process which took place on Monday 26th March 2018. Following the Hearing, Ms McCann published her report, in which she found that subject to certain modifications recommended in her report, the Plan should proceed to referendum. The examination report and amended Neighbourhood Plan is available to view here: Examiner’s Report
The Plan has been amended in accordance with the Examiners Report, and we now look forward to the referendum on 25th October 2018.
What is a Neighbourhood Plan?
It gives people like ourselves a real say in how our community develops – the way that land is used for housing, business, shops and leisure. It can also protect green spaces and influence the design of buildings and estates. The plan has to be agreed through a local referendum. It will have legal force for the next 12 years, and must be followed by Cornwall Council when making planning decisions.
Local people play a major role in making the plan. It’s part of their democratic right granted by the Localism Act. The more people that get involved, the better chance there is of making this a brilliant plan for Liskeard! So far the involvement of the community through volunteering, comment and support has been great! Now you need to get out and vote!
On the basis of what people have said the Plan aims to deliver the following vision:
THE PLAN VISION
LISKEARD – A MODERN CORNISH MARKET TOWN
- A Cornish market town with a distinct identity and character
- A vibrant and friendly community built on a human scale
- A place where people from the surrounding area come to use services, shops, cultural and leisure facilities
- Set in a valued rural, agricultural landscape between the sea and the moor
LISKEARD WILL BE:
- A thriving modern market town at the heart of South East Cornwall
- A place where people can work in rewarding jobs supporting a vibrant economy
- An attractive place to live with a range of housing to meet local needs
- A caring community supporting residents of all age and social groups through health, education, employment, and enjoyment of cultural and leisure facilities
- An attractive centre which retains its human scale, and where people want to access services, meet and shop
- A place that fosters mobility and healthy living with a sustainable transport network for walkers, cyclists and those who depend on public transport
- A place that attracts visitors and supports tourism in S E Cornwall
The Liskeard Neighbourhood Plan is supported by grant awarded by the Supporting Communities in Neighbourhood Planning Programme led by Locality in association with RTPI/Planning Aid England, CDF and partners, available through the My Community Rights website.
Mapping in PDF documents on this site is© Crown copyright and database rights 2017 OS 100053848: Use of this data is subject to terms and conditions.Share this...